THINGS TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN TAMPA BAY
The events and descriptions below were compiled by Tampa Bay Times entertainment and events reporter Sharon Wynne. Click Here to check out all of the weekend events courtesy of the Tampa Bay Times.
Clearwater Sea-Blues Festival: One of the best weekends of free music Tampa Bay has to offer in Coachman Park in Clearwater. Saturday brings Vintage Trouble and Grammy-winning blues-folk artist Fantastic Negrito. Sunday brings a lil’ Allman Brothers Band family reunion with the Devon Allman Project, featuring Duane Betts and Devon Allman. There's also lots of seafood and vendors and you can pay extra for reserved seating.
Arsenio Hall: After a long career that includes an iconic late-night talk show, movies like Coming to America, and a winning stint on The Celebrity Apprentice, he’s taking his standup act on the road. 8 and 10:30 p.m. Friday, 7:30 and 10 p.m. Saturday. Improv Tampa.
- Finding Neverland: Based on the touching film starring Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet, the Broadway musical chronicles the life of Peter Pan playwright J.M. Barrie. He drew inspiration for the famous character from his friendship with a widow and her four young boys. 2 and 8 p.m. Saturday. Ruth Eckerd Hall.
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream: The Florida Orchestra will perform the score composed for Shakespeare’s play in 1826 by German composer Felix Mendelssohn. That includes the famous “Wedding March” you hear at every wedding as the bride and the party files out at the end of the service. (Fun fact: The melody for the Christmas carol "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" is also his) 8 p.m. Friday at the Straz Center in Tampa, 8 p.m. Saturday at the Palladium in St. Petersburg, 7:30 p.m. Sunday at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater.
- Shen Yun: You have no doubt seen the ads for the traditional Chinese acrobat show known as Shen Yun. It’s actually become a meme because the show tours internationally and advertises in every conceivable format -- subways, billboards, brochures, TV spots and the radio. They’re not going to stop until you buy a ticket, so hop on it! Today through Sunday at Mahaffey Theater, St. Petersburg.
- Russian National Ballet: Performs Sergei Prokofiev’s Cinderella. He composed the ballet in the 1940s and it premiered in 1945 at the famous Bolshoi Theatre. At Ruth Eckerd Hall on Friday.
- Gasparilla Distance Classic: Gasparilla season continues. This renowned event, one of Tampa’s best-known road races, puts the “arrr” in running while attracting elite runners and first-timers alike. The 5K and 15K races are Saturday. Sunday features an 8K and a half-marathon.
- Spring Training baseball: This is how we know that “winter” is over: It’s time for the Grapefruit League — Spring Training baseball starts Friday. The Tampa Bay area, of course, is home to the Philadelphia Phillies (Clearwater), Toronto Blue Jays (Dunedin) and New York Yankees (Tampa), while our home team, the Tampa Bay Rays, train in Port Charlotte. For complete team schedules, tickets and locations, visit bit.ly/grapefruitinfo. Call (941) 235-5025 for Rays information.
- BMX: If you are a fan of big jumps and big air on bicycles, then this is the (Olympic) sport for you. Oldsmar BMX hosts the 2019 USA BMX Gator Nationals, which features riders from across North America and the globe. The action starts at 2 p.m. Friday, noon Saturday and 8 a.m. Sunday at the Oldsmar Sports Complex, 3120 Tampa Road. Free, but parking at the complex is limited, with a daily fee of $10 or $25 for the weekend.
The Sparkman Wharf makeover this weekend brings celebrity chef Art Smith to Splitsville Southern + Social for a meet and greet. The two-time James Beard award winner has collaborated on a menu drawing from his North Florida roots. His signature fried chicken, Southern spin on poutine, from-scratch cheddar biscuits, short rib sliders and creative flatbreads are hallmarks of the lineup!
The ARTpool Gallery’s annual Muse Art, Body Art and Fashion Show promises to knock your socks off (if you are wearing any). Male and female models will spend eight hours getting painted in preparation for the body art event. 8-11 p.m. Saturday. 2030 Central Ave., St. Petersburg.
FREE & CHEAP
Events free or under $5
- Free show by the Fixx: The alternative rock and MTV pioneers perform at the free monthly block party in downtown Clearwater. Catch it this Friday.
- Planes, Trains & Automobiles: A day of adventure at the Plant City Airport includes free flights for kids, a children’s play area, model trains, automobiles, K-9 demonstrations and more this Saturday.
- Gulfport’s Get Rescued:The 15th annual pet rescue street fair features a pet supply drive, a wiener dog race, training demonstrations and animal rescues on site 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday. Gulfport Beach Park.
- Fiesta Day: The annual street festival celebrates Ybor’s melting pot of nationalities with international food, music, vendors and live entertainment Saturday.
THIS WEEK IN DRESS-UP
Oscars: Why should starlets have all the fun? Oscar parties abound, Tampa Theatre’s most glamorous fundraiser offers a red carpet with a drag queen “Roan Jivers” who chats up guests and comments on the fashions. Inside the theater there will be games, prizes, free popcorn and soda, hair and makeup touch-ups with professional stylists. Plus the Oscars will be on the big screen with a cash bar. 6:30 p.m. Sunday.