Cuba is experiencing the aftermath of Tropical Storm Elsa as it heads back over Florida. Elsa is moving North-northwest at 12 mph with maximum sustained winds are again 60 mph. Elsa made landfall with 50 miles per hour wind just hours ago. It's expected to head out to the Gulf of Mexico later tonight, then make its way to Florida.
Forecasters expect it to make landfall in the Sunshine State sometime on Wednesday.
1. Heavy rain will impact the Cayman Islands and Cuba tonight resulting in significant flooding and mudslides over Cuba. As Elsa approaches the Florida Keys, Florida Peninsula, and southeast Georgia through Wednesday, heavy rainfall may result in an isolated flash, urban, and minor river flooding, with considerable flooding possible in southwest and western portions of Florida. Mid to late week, heavy rains across coastal South Carolina, North Carolina, and southeastern Virginia may result in isolated flash and urban flooding.
2. There is a danger of life-threatening storm surge along portions of the west coast of Florida Tuesday night and Wednesday, and a Storm Surge Warning has been issued for that area.
3. Tropical storm conditions are expected to continue across portions of central and western Cuba tonight and spread northward across portions of the Florida Keys and the Florida west coast through Wednesday, where a Tropical Storm Warning is in effect.
4. There is a risk of tropical storm conditions along portions of the coasts of Georgia and the Carolinas Wednesday and Thursday.
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:
A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for...
* West coast of Florida from Bonita Beach to the Aucilla River including Tampa Bay
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* The Cuban provinces of Matanzas, Mayabeque, Havana, and Artemisa
* The Florida Keys from Craig Key westward to the Dry Tortugas
* West coast of Florida from Flamingo northward to Ochlockonee River
A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for...
* West of the Aucilla River to the Ochlockonee River
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
* West of the Ochlockonee River to Indian Pass, Florida