Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl each scored a goal & Jack Campbell made 35 saves as the Tampa Bay Lightning fell to the visiting Edmonton Oilers 3-2 on Tuesday night at Amalie Arena.
Warren Foegele also scored for Edmonton, and in soccer terms, it came against the run of play.
The Lightning registered the first eight shots on goal on the evening but it was the Oilers who opened the scoring.
On a Tampa Bay power play ironically enough, Foegele picked up a puck in the high slot and snapped one over the blocker of Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy to put Edmonton ahead 1-0 at the 7:45 mark.
Not to be deterred, Tampa Bay answered back just over two minutes later.
Storming into the offensive zone, Brayden Point fed Nikita Kucherov, who in turn slid the puck across to Brandon Hagel, who one-timed a shot past Campbell to tie the game at one apiece at 9:53.
The Bolts outshot the Oilers 16-7 in the 1st, but Edmonton flipped the script in the 2nd.
After a tripping call to Mikhail Sergachev, McDavid scored a power play goal at 2:09 to put the visitors ahead 2-1.
A couple minutes after the McDavid goal, a really scary moment on the ice.
Oilers winger Evander Kane was down on the ice after being hit by Lightning defenseman Philippe Myers and was cut by the skate blade of Pat Maroon as he was skating by. Kane immediately rushed to the bench after leaving a pool of blood on the ice. The referees immediately stopped play and there was a palpable feeling of uneasiness inside of Amalie Arena. Later in the period, the TV broadcast on TNT alerted everyone that Kane was in stable condition after sustaining the deep cut on his wrist & will undergo a procedure for it.
Draisaitl put the visitors up 3-1 with a power play goal of his own at 4:07 and the Oilers went into the second intermission with a commanding two-goal lead.
Alex Killorn re-directed a shot-pass from Nick Perbix to pull the Lightning within one just 49 seconds into the 3rd period, but that's as close as Tampa Bay would get to tying it up.
Vasilevskiy made 26 saves in defeat for Tampa Bay.
- Edmonton - SHG - Foegele - (McLeod) - 7:45
- Tampa Bay - Hagel - (Kucherov, Point) - 9:53
- Edmonton - PPG - McDavid - (Nugent-Hopkins, Barrie) - 2:09
- Edmonton - PPG - Draisaitl - (McDavid) - 4:07
- Tampa Bay - Killorn - (Perbix, Point) - 0:49
- Edmonton - Barrie - (Removing The Helmet) - 6:46
- Edmonton - McDavid - (Hooking) - 10:16
- Tampa Bay - Sergachev - (Holding) - 1:20
- Tampa Bay - Kucherov - (Tripping) - 3:58
- Edmonton - TEAM - (Too Many Men) - 6:20
- Edmonton - Foegele - (Boarding) - 11:06
- Edmonton - Ryan - (Slashing) - 14:55
- Tampa Bay - Stamkos - (Delay of Game) - 15:45
- Tampa Bay - Bellemare - (Tripping) - 3:40
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action on Friday night as they travel to the nation's capital to take on the Washington Capitals. Puck drop is slated for 7:00pm.
PHOTO : Getty Images