The Tampa Bay Lightning have been pushed to the brink of elimination in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Columbus Blue Jackets beat the Bolts 3-1 on Sunday night in Columbus to take a commanding 3-0 series lead over the Lightning and have a chance to eliminate Tampa Bay at home on Tuesday night.
After a scoreless first period, the Blue Jackets struck early in the second when Matt Duchene gave Columbus the lead. After Ryan Callahan was called for interference at the 6:50 mark, Oliver Bjorkstand scored on the power play at the 8:25 mark to put Columbus in control. Though Ondrej Palat scored to pull Tampa Bay within 2-1 early in the third period, Sergei Bobrovsky made all the saves the Blue Jackets would need to secure the win. Cam Atkinson clinched the game for Columbus with an empty net goal at the 19:00 mark.
Bobrovsky finished the game 30-for-31 in net as he continued his success against the Lightning this series, while Andrei Vasilevskiy saved 27 of 29 shots in the loss. After a record setting regular season that saw them tie the all-time NHL record in wins, the Bolts are now in danger of being swept out of the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Game 4 comes up from Columbus at 7 PM - you can hear the game, beginning with pregame coverage at 6, on News Radio WFLA.
- CBJ - Duchene (Atkinson, Werenski) - 1:44
- PPG - CBJ - Bjorkstrand (Jones, Texier) - 8:25
- TBL - Palat - (Cernak, Johnson) - 4:40
- CBJ - Atkinson - (Panarin, Harrington) - 19:00
- TBL - Killorn (Interference) - 6:13
- TBL - Callahan (Roughing) - 15:50
- CBJ - Dzingel (Roughing) - 15:50
- TBL - Callahan (Interference) - 6:50
- CBJ - Nash (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) - 19:28
- TBL - Stamkos (Roughing) - 19:28
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 31
Columbus - 30