Keith Cate is an Anchor on WFLA News Channel 8 here in Tampa. He joined PM Tampa Bay to discuss the current state of the media from the perspective of local television news. He also previewed a big story for the 11 p.m. newscast profiling a man who has been on death row for over 40 years for a crime he didn't commit. Here are some key takeaways:
- There is a large difference between the local media and the national media as far as the type of coverage.
- Many have a greater trust in their local news outlets than national sources at this time.
- Local media has a greater focus on reporting the facts as opposed to spouting opinions.
- Tommy Zeigler has been on death row for 42 years. He was convicted of killing four people in Winter Garden, FL on December 24th 1975.
- Private Investigator Lynn-Marie Carty has invested thousands of dollars trying to prove his innocence for the past seven years.
- Keith Cate spoke with Carty to find out why she is so passionate about this case, and he also went to death row to meet with Tommy Zeigler and hear the 72 year old's side of the story.