- A SunPass redesign was launched in early June and has been a huge failure so far, with computer meltdowns, outages and a massive backlog of tolls.
- How'd it happen? Xerox has a spin-off company called Conduent State & Local Solutions, they won a bid to overhaul the SunPass system in Florida. A few companies protested the win, but those companies were all given a multi-million dollar payout.
- Florida agreed to pay Conduent $287 million to update the toll system, but this quickly turned into a $350 million job.
- This company has had similar large-scale problems in half-dozen other states, yet the state hasn't enacted any punishments as of yet and is trying to downplay the problem. As of now, they haven't even halted payments to the company for the update.
- Expect to see late bills, mysterious charges to your account and for the foreseeable future.
Read more from Noah Pransky on this issue here: https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/10investigates-fdot-isnt-halting-all-payments-to-sunpass-contractor-after-all/67-574729809