Lakeland Child, 7, Dies in Home with Generator

LAKELAND (970 WFLA) -- A seven year old girl has been found dead at a home in Lakeland where a generator was operating.

Terryn Wilson appears to be the fifth person to die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Florida in 24 hours. 

Polk 911 operators received a call from the child's mother, Shashunda Wilson, 41, who told operators she woke up feeling dizzy, and that her daughter appeared to be deceased. 

Paramedics arrived at 5124 Dossey Road South and transported the older Wilson to Lakeland Regional Medical Center. She told them the generator was running in the living room, while she and Terryn slept in the bedroom, with a fan as ventilation.

An autopsy will determine the child's cause of death. 

Three people died of carbon monoxide at a home in Orange County Monday afternoon, while a man died in Daytona Beach Tuesday morning. Three other people from the Daytona home went to hospitals. 

In Hernando County Tuesday morning, deputies found two dogs in a house with a generator running. One of the dogs died. The other is receiving treatment. 

Polk County Fire Rescue sent out these reminders about generator use: 

  • Generators and gas grills should be operated in well-ventilated locations, outdoors, away from all doors, windows and vent openings.
  • Never use a generator or gas grill in an attached garage, even with the door open.
  • Place generators so that exhaust fumes can't enter the home through windows, doors or other openings in the building.
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms in your home. Follow manufacturer's instructions for correct placement and mounting height.
  • Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is running.
  • Store fuel for the generator in a container that is intended for the purpose and is correctly labeled. Store the containers outside of living areas. Propane tanks should also be turned off when not in use and stored outdoors.
  • Do not connect a generator to your home's electrical system without a licensed electrician providing a means to connect. Improper wiring creates the danger of back feeding the power system, energizing downed lines and fatally electrocuting anyone that contacts those lines.

Photo Credit: Polk County Sheriff's Office

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content