SEFFNER (970 WFLA) -- Four people safely escaped a burning house in Seffner. But the six thousand square foot structure is destroyed after a devastating fire last night.
Hillsborough Fire Rescue says heavy fire and smoke was already going through the roof of the house when they arrived around 10:40 last night, at 318 Cactus Road in Seffner. Firefighters helped the homeowners get to safety.
Fire Rescue says the home had undergone several renovations and additions, making it very difficult for firefighters to clear the scene once the fire was under control. Battalion Chief Jim Chastain tells News Channel 8, they had to pull firefighters out of the house as the walls were on the verge of collapse.
It took two hours to bring the fire under control and five more hours to deal with the wreckage. One firefighter transported to a hospital with minor injuries, and has been released. One person suffered a burn on the foot, getting out of the house. That person refused hospitalization.
Hillsborough fire rescue says the cause is a candle that accidentally got knocked over in a bedroom.
Photo Credit: Total Traffic Network - Tampa