TAMPA, Fla. (970 WFLA) - It's National Doughnut Day, and that means freebies all over the Bay area.
Here are some locations where can you can score a free donut:
- Free doughnut, no purchase necessary.
- Free doughnut with purchase of a beverage.
- Rewards members get a free donut with coffee purchase.
- Free doughnut with beverage purchase.
- Free classic donut.
The place that started it all. Here are five locations where they'll be giving out free donuts today.
- 9926 E. Adamo Dr.,Brandon
- 915 S. Florida Ave., Lakeland
- 2815 S. MacDill Ave.,Tampa
- 13910 N. Nebraska Ave., Tampa
- 27040 Wesley Chapel Blvd., Wesley Chapel
Here's some history about Doughnut Day from their WEBSITE:
"This year marks the 100th anniversary of World War I, where the Salvation Army Donut Lassie was born. Salvation Army “Doughnut Girls” served along the front lines during WWI and WWII, giving soldiers free coffee and doughnuts.
National Donut Day was started in 1938 in Chicago to honor of The Salvation Army “Doughnut Girls.” This unofficial holiday is celebrated the first Friday in June.
In 1917, The Salvation Army began a mission to provide spiritual and emotional support for U.S. soldiers fighting in France during World War I. About 250 volunteers traveled overseas and set up small huts located near the front lines where they could give soldiers clothes, supplies and, of course, baked goods."
photo credit: Getty Images