Sarasota, Fla. (970 WFLA)-The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office reminds citizens and visitors to obey all laws while on the water during Spring Break. Safety is a priority for all of us – here are some boating tips and best practices to keep in mind:
• CHECK SAFETY/RESCUE EQUIPMENT: This includes batteries, fire extinguishers, on-board electronics (VHF radios) and navigation lights.
• BRING LIFE JACKETS: Make sure you have personal flotation devices (PFDs) for all aboard and make sure children wear a USCG-approved, properly-fitting life jacket at all times.
• WATCH THE SIGNS: Know how to read the red and green channel markers and watch for slow and no wake signs. These apply to all vessels.
• PERMITS AND LICENSING: Make sure you have up-to-date fishing permits and registrations for your vessel. Know size requirements and what fish are in season.
• ALCOHOL AND BOATING DON'T MIX: Consuming alcoholic beverages in excess will affect perception, reaction time and decision-making. Don't drink and boat!
• FILE A FLOAT PLAN: If you will be on the water for an extended period of time, let family or friends know about your plans and stay in touch with someone on shore. You can download a float plan from the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office website. Under Crime Prevention select "Safety Information and Boating Safety".
Video Credit: Sarasota Sheriff's Office